REALTY insurance

Why Choose Us

Owning a building can be stressful enough without worrying about making sure it is properly protected.  With over 100 years of experience, we can help you make the right choices so you can sleep worry free.

What kind of buildings do we offer insurance for?



-Residential Houses                       

and more!

 -Office Buildings

 -Commercial Buildings

 -Industrial Buildings

The Basics Of Realty Insurance

Commercial General Liability (CGL) - This is the part of your policy that pays for those slips and falls that happen on the premise. You should always make sure your tenants have insurance, as it helps protect you.  Good upkeep of the building is also helpful in preventing any issues from occurring.  Along with your building, this is one of the most important parts of your policy.

Building - these are insured under a Broad policy or a Named Perils policy depending on the use, age, updates and where it is located.  A Broad form policy offers much better coverage and should be purchased in most situations.  

Contents -  You may provide your tenants with some furnishings such as appliances, tables, chairs etc.  These need to be listed on your policy.


By-laws - Unless your building is brand new this coverage should be included in your policy.  It covers the increased cost to rebuild due to a local by-law.  This could be things such as the city requires your bathroom to be wheelchair accessible before issuing a building permit even though the bathroom itself was not damaged.

 Equipment Breakdown - What happens when your furnace suddenly breaks down in the middle of winter?  Equipment breakdown coverage protects your equipment in the building against sudden and accidental break downs.  It does not cover items broken due to wear and tear. 

Rental Income - If your building burns down it could be a year or more before it is rebuilt.  Who will pay for the lost income from your tenants?  This coverage pays for your lost rental income while your building is being repaired or rebuilt.

Other Considerations

Sewer/Septic Backup - The septic overflowing into any building is not overly fun to deal with, and can be quite costly.  This coverage should be added to your policy as it is not automatically covered.  

Flood - Floods seem to be happening more each year - it is a good idea to protect your building against floods that could cause massive damage to your building.

Earthquake -  Although Ontario does not have a high occurrence of earthquakes, the coverage is usually very affordable and when earthquakes strike, the damage can be quite devastating.  

By no means is this an exhaustive list - every building is unique.  Please give our office a call 905-623-4406 and let us help you get the coverage you need.

Contact Us

26 King St East Bowmanville ON, L1C 1N2


T: 905-623-4406

T: 1-800-836-7236

F: 905-623-5570

Our Hours

Monday: 9 am - 5 pm

Tuesday: 9 am - 5 pm

Wednesday: 9 am - 5 pm

Thursday: 9 am - 5 pm

Friday: 9 am - 4 pm

Saturday: Closed

Sunday: Closed

Follow Us

  • James Insurance Facebook
  • James Insurance Instagram
  • James Insurance Twitter

Insurance Products

About Us

James Insurance is a local insurance broker serving Bowmanville and the surrounding areas since 1893.  


Your Best Insurance is an Insurance Broker

© 2019 James Insurance Broker Ltd, All Rights Reserved.